Sunday, February 13, 2011

God Is Not One??

I have had a difficult time deciding how much I can agree with Prothero. While I would never claim that the differences in religions are so trivial that we could overlook them, I found myself resistant to his criticisms of perennial philosophers who claim that all religions share a universal truth. I do not know much about perennial philosophy (other than what I have read in this book and on wikipedia) but I felt that just because a person believes that there is a common thread of human spirituality in all religions (or some type of universal truth among the spiritual aspect of the human experience) doesn't mean that this person is blind to the deep diversities and worldviews that are a part of defining each religion. My criticism is that Prothero is not giving space for people to both appreciate the meaning of diversity in our world and entertain a notion of a meaningful spiritual quality that all humans share. Is the idea that all humans share a quest for spiritual meaning enough to claim some type of universal truth about human spirituality?

The more inspiring part of the book was in the conclusion when Prothero mentions groups such as Interfaith Dialogue 2.0 and the Interfaith Youth Core. He claims that these groups are unique in the interfaith dialogue communities because they are, "open to traditional believers, and nonbelievers as well, precisely because it recognizes that genuine dialogue across religious boundaries must recognize the existence of these boundaries and the fundamental differences between the lands they bisect." I feel that his is the primary reason that we have been asked to read this book. As peacebuilding practitioners we must understand the importance of differing worldviews and paradigms that religions have both shaped and been shaped by. Regardless of which religious, theological or philosophical views one subscribes to, we cannot deny the impact of religion.

4 comments:

  1. Nathan, I didn't ever get the sense that Prothero was "not giving space for people to both appreciate the meaning of diversity in our world and entertain a notion of a meaningful spiritual quality that all humans share." I think his methodology of 1) problem, 2) solution, 3) technique, and 4) exemplar (p. 14) applied to each of the eight traditions is an attempt to do just that.

    He knows it's a gamble to engage in such an exercise for the very reasons that he's warning people against the "all roads lead to Rome" approach to religion: because that is so offensive to so many people of particular religious faiths. Yet he soldiers on all the same, trying to tell each story from the inside out, which is admirable. I see this approach as very invitational, trying to respect the tradition itself and its adherents, but also giving others an opportunity to peek inside, however limited and fleeting a glimpse.

    Anyway, I saw this post just after I posted my own engagement with the book: http://restorativetheology.blogspot.com/2011/02/christianity-101.html (Shameless plug, but I dropped a link back here...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that Prothero did articulate similarities but from a more philosophical point of view, I was feeling his views restricting me from being able to appreciate the common human thread of spirituality. Part of my critique might be because I am not very familiar with the movement of people that do tend to clump all religions together. Therefore I find myself on the defensive end even though I agree that there is grave danger in trying lump all religions into one meaning. Thanks for your comment. I will check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, gentlemen. But what are the implications when these faith traditions influence large social and political systems by creating and sustaining particular orientations toward the world? The issue for Prothero is not just the individual and her spirituality, beliefs or practices. It is also a question of social groupings that organize around particular beliefs about God, the world, and important human dilemmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leo Tolstoy in his search for the meaning of his existance and for a deeper understanding of humanity came to the conclusion that all religions carry basic truths and that his discovery of these truths gave meaning to his existence. Tolstoy's novels reveal his search for meaning in life. He wrote eloquently in a short 19 page report about this search and the conclusions he came up with. His search led him to indepth reading about the major religions. He saw a common thread. I wonder what Prothero would have to say about Tolstoy's works.

    ReplyDelete