Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Why I am interested in peacebuilding

We have been asked to think about this question in research class but more in reference to a particular research project. I haven't been able to come up with a good reason as to why I am interested in the research I am choosing to do which has led me to the larger question of why I am studying peacebuilding.

As I have been reading about healing and reconciliation practices I have been progressively attracted to identity. This is a prominent theme in our studies. I might find questions of identity interesting because it makes me think more in depth about what existence is. Or, what existence means. I might not be able to identify any particular events or conditions of life that have brought me to peacebuilding and studying other cultures in their healing initiatives - although I should continue my search for that - but I can admit to a deeper curiosity about what it means to be alive for different people, cultures, comminities. Studying identity and changes of identity exposes some of those questions?

2 comments:

  1. Identity from a systems perspective would be an interesting line of query, I think. Individual, family, community, regional, national, religious, gendered...all the different ways our identities are constituted, both as persons and as people (subtle but significant difference there). Keep that curiosity, Nathan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for connecting systems thinking and identity. I hadn't been so aware of making a direct connection but I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete